Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Is One Socka Color Better Than the Rest?

Here are Ed and Dorlynn playing footsie. It's not something they do that often, but then they looked down and realized that they were wearing socks from the same color of the same yarn:

It used to be Socka; now it's Fortissima Socka Colori; either way, it's still 2419 Kolibri. (Which I'm told means "hummingbird" in German.)

There was a period of a year or more when it was unavailable--not because it was discontinued and then brought back by popular demand. No, it was backordered for a year. We were told that the guy in Europe who dyes the stuff--"the guy," I'm telling you, not "the team" or "the division"--was ill for several months. Now, when I look at yarn with a mass-produced label, I think of it as mass-produced yarn, not something like artisanal goat cheese. How can there be only one guy who knows how to make the stuff?

These are the mysteries of the knitting world. Ed's pair of socks got cut in half by the hiatus: we had one 50-gram skein, I said, "Go ahead, no problem, we'll order more," and then . . . .

But that's all water under the bridge now. It's in 100-g skeins now, so if we have one, your pair is safe.

Ed and Dorlynn, by the way, have swapped status: Ed's crossed the great divide to become a member of the staff (look for him on Friday particularly), and Dorlynn has returned to civilian life, and can now enjoy Knitting Circle in (relative) peace. There are several other new members of the crew; we'll try to get them to submit to photos, and do some introductions in this space in the next few weeks.

4 comments:

Sherry W said...

I really adore this colorway. I don't think I brought the gloves I finished to knitting circle:

http://lunastrixae.blogspot.com/2005/09/half-finished.html

Suzanne said...

I'm really glad to see Ed back; his projects are always fun and different. But I'm also really sad to see Dorlynn go. Best of luck with her new calling!

Anonymous said...

I think if ed thoguht he could get away with it, he woulda put a hit on me'cause during the time he had one sock and was waiting, I had a skein but wouldn't part with it.....

Anonymous said...

I am going to miss Dorlynn on my weekend visits - she was always so helpful and patient when I couldn't decide on something. Good luck to her!